Resources for Students & Teachers
The Aura Satellite (pictured) and other efforts like it are gathering information on the chemistry and dynamics of the Earth's atmosphere, taking measurements that will enable scientists to investigate questions about ozone trends and air quality changes and the connections with climate change.
See more information here:
If you need help with a report for school or just have a question about air pollution, contact: Armen Kamian at 530-332-9400, extension 108 for information. Privace Notice: We do not keep em-mail addresses after we respond to you.
- Ask a question, get an answer for a UCSB Scientist
- U.S. Environmental Protection AgencyElementary SchoolMiddle SchoolHigh School
- See additional resources below.
- California Air Resources Board Educational Resources - videos, definitions, climate action for kids.
- Learn About Air Pollution - by SBAPCD
- How Your Lungs Work (American Lung Association).
- NASA Science Space Place
- NASA Climate Kids
- EPA - Learning & Teaching About the Environment
- U.S. EPA Indoor Air Quality for Schools Mobile App-
- The School IAQ Assessment app provides you with a “one-stop shop” for accessing guidance from EPA’s IAQ Tools for Schools Action Kit with proven strategies for specifically addressing important issues such as ventilation, cleaning and maintenance, environmental asthma triggers, radon, and integrated pest management.
- U.S. EPA Office of Environmental Education - Kids' page, teachers' page, regional programs and students' page.
- Rocky Mountain Institute - pages on energy.
- Clean Air Primer - The Clean Air Primer is organized into easy learning modules for use with different abilities and interest levels and makes use of the latest, up-to-date techniques in media delivery. Explore, see and learn about what's in the air.
- Clean Air Patch Program - This interactive game taps into your skills and knowledge to help save Pollutonians from the ravages of air pollution. Grades 4-8.
- Smog City - From Sacramento Air Quality Management District - This interactive web site teaches young adults how weather and human activities affect air quality.
- South Coast AQMD's Kids Activity Book
- California Energy Commission Quest Site for Kids
- Smog City - This web page provides an interactive city where kids can experiment with different weather conditions and pollution source activity to see how much smog would result.
- AQI Kids -The EPA's web page teaches kids about the AQI (Air Quality Index) and includes games and activities.
- California Air Resources Board - Information about air pollution programs implemented by the state of California.
- U.S. EPA Student Center - The place to go for information on our environment, including air pollution.
- California Energy Commission - Learn about reducing energy costs and environmental impacts of energy use
- National Science Foundation - Find out about National Science Foundation programs and educational opportunities.
- Vehicle Technologies Office: Education and Workforce Development - A variety of resources and opportunities for students, university researchers and professionals.
- Teacher Vision - Teaching resources on environmental science.